Monday, January 18, 2010

Valandraud 2001 - Sabines 2006

Following François Mauss tasting with his friends at Restaurant Laurent in Paris where he rediscovered Valandraud 2001, I decided, this weekend, to open a bottle to check how the 2001 evolved.
In fact, I always preferred 2001 over 2000 (and this also for many other wines), for this wine was very expressive the few years following bottling, in 2003 and 2004, then it closed up like an oyster. Austere, mute, hard, oaky, so I put it aside, focusing more on 1995-1999 and especially 1998.
Well, I certainly will open regularly bottles of 2001 which is now softer, fuller, with caramel and chocolate flavors similar to fine Grenache and aromas of warm blackberry and vanilla jam.
After a period of austerity, it has become sexy. Finally.

More about tasting. Following the visit of 2 American importers who tasted and chose 4 product from our portfolio, Xavier told me that they really liked Sabines 2006. I tasted the opened bottle with my meal and can tell you that it won’t have any problems to please. The price of our Lalande de Pomerol 2006 Domaine des Sabines will be a sure value from this heterogeneous appellation.
(27.50 Euros TTC on ThunevinOnline)

No comments: