Sunday, November 8, 2009

Travels

During my travels, I often meet friends or colleagues who do the same thing. The last I met were Michel Garat from the vineyards of Credit Foncier de France (Château Beauregard in Pomerol and Bastor la Montagne in Sauternes) and Thibault Despagne (Mont Perat, Girolate) I always enjoy seeing, as I like the energy and talent of this family.
That reminds me, since one of his wines is widely quoted in the manga "The Drops of God", sold by small vendors in the streets of Hong Kong, the influence this manga has today, from Japan to Korea, China and France.

I drank in Amber Landmark Mandarin’s restaurant an excellent wine made from old Australian Mourvèdre planted in 1880 (?)
It was Old Garden 2006 Hewitson, from the Barossa Valley, served from a bottle closed with a screw cap.
A really good wine sold at a moderate price, in any case, in a restaurant where we ate very well: modern cuisine but tasty, where the inspired chef, originally from the Netherlands, worked on textures and who learned his craft with good French chefs.

1 comment:

Nick Foss said...

Hi Jean-Luc,
I am an interested wine lover from England.

Everyone says that 2009 will be even better than 2003 & 2005 - I hope so but I also hope the wine will be affordable.

I saw with interest your mention of Eric Talavet.

Myself & my wife met Eric in your shop in September when we visited St Emillion. Eric was very knowledgeable and helpful. His English was much better than my French!

We were flying back to England from Merignac but are coming back In June to buy from you.

Your prices were competitive and you stocked some labels that I had not come across before .

We hope to stay in St Emillion and perhaps try some vintages from you before buying some cases.

We will be relying on Eric's recommendations.

I have just bought some 1995 Grand Cru ( St Emillion ) in England for £12 per bottle - it seemed like good value . Will it be drinkable now ( Christmas ) ?

Well thanks for the informative blog and we will see your colleague in June.

Best wishes Nick Foss