Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tasting primeurs

Meals
Meursault Charmes 2006 Buisson Charles (delicious)
Mondotte 2001 (wait for another 2 to 3 years – top)
Haut Brion 1998
Lafite Rothschild 1998 (normally very good)
Valandraud 1998 good
Le Pin 1998 very good, incredibly young with entrancing aromas.
Yquem 2002 good

Notes from the critics
Up to now, the Wine Spectator still likes 2009. Nice results for many wines, I will write about it later, but for those I am closely involved with: 93-95 for Chateau La Dominique, 92-95 for La Croix Figeac and my 2 "discoveries", this year, Tour des Terms in Saint Estephe and Chateau Marquis de Terme in Margaux both got 92-95.
Jean-Marc Quarin gave a very good note for Valandraud and wrote that “it can hold for more than 50 years”. I will wait, promise!

As for my tastings
It’s been a while since I took the time, during this crazy week of primeurs, to taste my neighbors’ wines.
I was able to join some of my friends and taste: Lafleur 2009 in Pomerol, a dream. I could have stayed an hour to talk about wine. This wine is great with incredible precision. Following, the best Vieux Château Certan I tasted in my life, considering the number I drank… This 2009 is simply unspitable, I would have certainly drank a carafe this evening!
Following, Le Pin, the wine which inspired Valandraud. There too, I didn’t spit
If this is not a "vintage of the millennium, what is it to doubters?

No comments: