Friday, March 19, 2010

1st tasting : U.G.C.

A big article just came out (in French) in the newspaper Sud Ouest with the title : du vin de garage au microscope (garage wine under a microscope). It included paragraphs on the 2 certifications of traceability, quality and a better environmental report for negociants, vinification and wineries.
It drew lots of reactions, comments, etc. Here, almost everyone reads this newspaper.

Another article came out on Agri.fr regarding the Primeurs and Cercle Rive Droite.

2009 UGC tasting
I heard some people say that they preferred the homogeneity of 2005, some the balance of 2005, but no one mentioned the price of 2005
Others told me about wines made from “blette” grapes, I didn’t say Brett! Too ripe? Too extracted? Surpisingly, but no one talked to me about wines which were too diluted or vegetal?

Denis Dubourdieu, spoke to me about taste, simply taste. We certainly have more work to do, thanks to the influence of organic viticulture, like in Burgundy (when the wines are well made).
In any case - speaking of myself… but it’s my blog – I liked this 2009 UGC tasting.

Great brands produced very good wine this year, it’s normal. I think about Troplong Mondot, Pape Clément, Domaine de Chevalier, Lascombes, Carbonnieux, Carmes Haut Brion, Malartic Lagravière (flavor), Olivier (finally), Smith Haut Lafite, Beauséjour Bécot, Canon (I told John), Dassault, Clos Fourtet, La Couspaude (a must), La Dominique (of course), La Tour Figeac, Larcis Ducasse (it’s normal), Larmande (the best Larmande ever produced), Vieux Certan, Clinet, Gazin, La Conseillante, Croix du Gay very good, La Pointe, Petit Village very high level, Fourcas Hosteins (yes), La Tour Carnet, Le Tertre, Malescot Saint Exupéry, Marquis de Terme (special!), Rauzan Segla, Gruaud Larose, Lagrange (just fruit), Léoville Barton, Léoville Poyferré (very good), Saint Pierre, Talbot, I already said it would be one of the best wines in 2009, Lynch Bages, Pichon Longueville (one of my favorite), Phelan Ségur. I only mention the ones I tasted and liked.

I found only 3 or 4 wines not so good, it’s a small amount, perhaps I was optimistic.
To finish, the dry whites are good and in Sauternes, I was not able to spit Guiraud and Nairac.

No comments: