Thursday, March 15, 2012

Memory

The painful memory for all Pieds-Noirs is particularly felt this year as it is the 50th anniversary of the independence of Algeria.

Arte just broadcasted 2 documentaries on the Algerian war: Monday “The Battle of Algiers” by Gillo Pontecorvo, made in 1965, a film banned in France and distributed in just a few theatres, except in 1971 and 2004, Tuesday “Algeria, our history” (Benjamin Stora and Jean Michel Meurice), showing the war and its horrors seen from the Algerian side, the French side, the Pieds-Noirs, the army... tough shows even for me, as they reminded me of my childhood...

Tuesday at Chateau Talbot, 4 people sitting at our table had a connection with Algeria, Chateau Talbot gave us a moment of nostalgia as well as a Bordeaux moment thanks to a beautiful Talbot 1966 offered by our hosts. I believe I have in my cellar some 1962, in the absence of 1962 Mascara; we will drink a wine that Bernard Magrez made in Algeria

1 comment: