Monday, February 25, 2008

45 legendary Bordeaux in the Revue du Vin de France

The title is strong ! I am so happy to see Pomerol on the cover with the picture of 2 legendary bottles: Petrus 2000 and La Conseillante 2005. I am even happier when I noticed that our chateaux are part of these 45 legendary wines. Châteaux La Commanderie de Mazeyres, Prieurs de la Commanderie, le Clos du Beau Père and Domaine Fayat-Thunevin : 4 out of 45, including 3 to watch (they have to prove themselves) and La Commanderie de Mazeyres in the deserve category. In these 3 categories, which includes 47 wines selected out of 150, it is pretty good. I think a few chateaux have been omitted, I am thinking of Bellegrave, Pommeaux, Fleur de Plince, Lagrave, and few of Janoueix wines, Franc Maillet (at least the Cuvee Jean-Baptiste), Guillot, and others that I also forgot.
In any case, in the 5 outsiders to watch, our Clos du Beau Père 2006 is included.

Last weekend, John and I went to London to participate in the Decanter event which took place in the Landmark Hotel. A lot of people attended, despite the rugby game. We introduced: Valandraud 1999, La Dominique 2001, Haut Carles 2003 and Fleur Cardinale 2006.

John must have spoken and poured for more than 100 people from 11 am to 5 pm. As for me, I visited some of my colleagues and friends from Bordeaux and talk to a few journalists including Panos or Juan Carlos. In any case, more than 800 visitors tasted Bordeaux in a chic environment with a perfect organization (service for the glasses, water, clearing of empty bottles, small buffet for us, I thank Michael Denton for having convinced me to participate).

We took this opportunity to visit a few accounts as well as prospects. Except for one account we were not able to get an appointment before we left, and a somewhat cold meeting, the others were perfect, professional and at least friendly.

Jancis Robinson was able to taste some of the Calvet-Thunevin wines, thanks to a friend; I am looking forward to read her comments.

Staying with good news: Lynch Bage 89, gigantic, in the same class as 1st growth (tasted blind), Poesia 2005, Malbec in force and finesse, here too a favorite, and Segna de Cor 2005 from Roc des Anges, which confirms that the Roussillon is able to produce a good range of fine wines. We drank these wines during our meal in a restaurant (we ate there twice) called GALVIN on 66 Baker Street, next to our hotel the Sherlock Holmes – decent, I recommend it (young atmosphere and very comfortable rooms). London is very expensive and even average hotels are expensive! We had a decent meal at Arbutus and found taxis everywhere (not like Paris!)!

No comments: