Monday, July 16, 2012

Labels

We were invited to a nice dinner organized for 7 guests at Chateau Sansonnet where several wines were served, including a few blind.

Visible labels:
Sansonnet 2010, bottled a few days ago, beautiful, holds-up to its expectations. It will certainly be one of the best in the Saint Emilion Grand Cru category. To start the evening: Valandraud Blanc 2010.

Blind, 2 bottles, I did guess where they came from and even the vintage and appellation. I just needed the name!

On the right, a modern style, current, a great wine of the world, good to drink, close to Bordeaux, in style, it took me a few tries to guess but finally I did: 1996 Priorat, I said Erasmus. In fact, it was Ermita 1996 from Alvaro Palacios. Grenache and Cabernet Sauvignon, one of my favorite wines with, of course, Pingus!

On the left, classic style, I was on a role and luck, 1990 vintage, Ribera del Duero, it was, of course, Vega Sicilia, I prefer their more recent vintages, still, this style, flavor and the special winemaking technique used at that time, made it a cult wine which it remains to this day.

Visible labels :
Fleur Cardinale 2009, great wine, fine tannins and phenomenal balance. What a great evolution during aging which expanded this wine. Fleur Cardinale 2005, undoubtedly great, but which suffered from being compared with 2009.

Blind/half blind
Sansonnet 2008 which tastes better and better. Alas, it is sold-out Valandraud 2008, not decanted, with gas, I aired it in my glass. Difficult to taste at the opening, but after 40 minutes, it was good.

Goes to show how important it is to decant this 2008 which has become capricious! The meal was good and the atmosphere pleasant and positive and I didn’t see the time passing

No comments: