Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Valandraud Cuvée Axelle

I wanted to produce an original cuvee to celebrate the birth of my grand daughter Axelle, so I put aside a barrel of each varietals representing my entire vineyards at that time. It consisted of 1 barrel of Merlot, 1 of Cabernet Franc (which compose regularly Valandraud – respectively around 70 and 30% each), plus 1 of Cabernet Sauvignon and 1 of Malbec (which are a small part of Valandraud, 2.5% max).
So, the balance of that cuvee is very different. The wine is perhaps more complex but much less powerful. Sold at that time for 36 Euros, it quickly reached 100 Euros for it was very rare and because I said it was made from my best barrels. People understood that it was better than Valandraud.
In my opinion, Valandraud is more concentrated and is also beginning to drink well. Thanks, anyway for opening one of my bottles… A friend broker told me yesterday that nobody was drinking them… (as if all the 1st growths were being drunk!)

No comments: