Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Tasting and reviews

Yesterday at 2 :30 pm, I tasted batches of 2005 in the middle of aging with 3 of my colleagues. Seeing the pleasure on their faces, I wonder who is going to dare acting indifferent? We followed with 2006 batches which seemed good, but far, quite far from the historical bottles.

For dinner, we ate a paella and drank, with pleasure, a very good Chassagne Montrachet red 1er cru from Jean Marc Pillot, from this wonderful vintage in Burgundy: 1999. This wine, while considered refined, was perfectly balanced, neat, bright and incredibly good. A real wine to appreciate with pleasure (not like those bombs made for contests that I like, but I am learning).
Before, we opened a bottle of Claude Dugat 2004 Bourgogne, unfiltered, there was no need to write it on the label… Problem bottle I suppose, seeing the quality of the signature which offers, I suppose, even in a simple appellation, quality wines. I looked for reviews on sites like La Passion du Vin (by Ganesh for instance) and on dégustateurs.com, but unfortunately, couldn’t find anything (why?)
In any case, back to the news: what is today’s price for truffles? It looks like it is going to be a good year.
No connection, but I like the following comments from Bertrand Le Guern: “We can say that you were lucky”, talking about the 1959 vintage.
On the same site of la Passion du Vin, this time regarding Valandraud 1999, tasted during an event organized by Bettane and Desseauve, William preferred Virginie 1999 to Valandraud 1999. What can I say other than each person has his own taste which is a good thing. Valandraud 1999 is actually part of the 10 best wines of this vintage and the one that I show the most as it is easy to drink without any fuss. I serve it at my table almost every week!

No comments: