Thursday, December 28, 2006

Cold weather is with us

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Cold weather is here and frost embelishes the Saint Emilion landscape.




Yesterday in my house I drank a bottle of Franc Maillet Cuvée Jean-Baptiste 2000 with two of my wine merchant colleagues. This wine honors the Pomerol appellation, which is a bit suffering these days, like Margaux, for having disappointed consumers expecting better from such appellation. Indeed, in these prestigious appellations where the price of vineyards can cost between 500,000 and 1 million Euros per hectare – and even more, what justified bottles which were granted the appellation by “ land right” and not by “blood right” if I can allow myself such pun. In these prestigious appellations, 80 % of the wines sold in retail for less than 10 Euros a bottles is bad, 20 % is a matter of chance.
Valandraud 1999 was yesterday a great bottle, with perfect corks for the 2 bottles, which help positively the evolution of these great wines.

On Mark Squires BB, I read a comment from Clive Coates who compares my wines, as well as the ones from Perse and Magrez, to hippopotamus as opposed to good Bordeaux, which resemble gazelles… and therefore considers that the palate of our clients, who appreciate our wines, are handicapped and urgently need a “quality palate” transplant (with the same characteristics as this eminent and famous critic). Except that Clive Coates has no influence, I am surprised that he stubbornly still thinks that I make “blockbuster” wines, when Mr Parker (who he is greatly jealous of) never gave me 98-100!
I am tempted to create a label with a hippopotamus for the anti-Clive Coats.

No comments: