Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Father, forgive them for they don’t know what they’re doing.







« Father, forgive them for they don’t know what they’re doing.»
These are the words pronounced by Jesus on the cross. I am becoming more sensitive to the idea of God, destiny, life and its limits!
However, this is not the reason why I decided to give this title to my last post before leaving for Brazil, but because of some close friends of mine who decided to suffer by drinking a few bad bottles simply to check an obvious fact. Giving notes, classification or comments doesn’t necessarily gives credibility to a journalist, or a media he, or she, writes for. The job of wine critic, as well as the producer, doesn’t need diplomas or talent to do it. It is actually the case for many jobs, and it is not only in the wine industry that this causes problems. As far as I am concerned, a few wine critics should urgently get their palate readjusted, at least for the minimum required (defects), by good teachers, some good wine professionals, winemakers, enologists, even colleagues. The Ability to Taste University Diploma (like Jean-Marc Quarin) or other forms of training would be useful and would allow a few critics to be not as bad and criticized, as long as they have a the basic qualities required, a palate in good condition and a working nose!

Not everyone has the talent of Parker, Bettane, Burtchy, Rolland or Dubourdieu, and many more, but whoever hires a bad journalist will end by losing all his clients and advertisers if they don’t impose a minimum requirement. I speak about taste, of course. However, it is not the only one raising questions, bad judgment, cultural or political a-priories, even racists ones can be even more serious.
My friends who wanted to taste a few bad wines did also drink a few good bottles and have a good, even very good meal.
I will list no names for the moment, even if I really want to. I will let you guess who I am thinking about.

No comments: